If you are building a new home, you will be aware of the many choices you need to make regarding building materials and home design both inside and externally. One of the major considerations is the roof and roofing materials. There are several choices for roofing materials, from various types of tiles through to Colorbond roofing, which is made from steel and has the coloured finish baked on.
The actual design of the roof can make a great deal of difference to the look of the house, but sometimes you are limited by the capabilities of the material you build with. For instance, generally speaking tiles cannot be used on a flat roof – at least not without a lot of waterproofing underneath, because rainwater would run under the joins and leak into the ceiling cavity. This does not happen with steel sheeting.
Colorbond steel roofing can enhance your home design in several ways: –
- Colorbond comes in 23 colours, most of which are suitable for the roof. There are light colours and darker colours that all reflect the natural environment of Australia. You will find a greater variety of colours in Colorbond than in any other kind of roofing material; creams, greys, greens, blues, ochre tones and even deep red and black.
- The special way the colour is baked into the surface of the steel increases its insulation properties, giving you a home that is cool in the summer while still being warmer in the winter. While this aspect is not a visible home design enhancement, it certainly makes a difference to the comfort of the residents.
- Steel roofing is versatile as it can be rolled to give a curved edge that enhances many older style homes. This seems to fit in beautifully with steel lacework on the deck or front veranda.
- Colorbond roofing can be cut to fit any shape, so you can have any type of roof you want:
- Hip or hip and valley
- Mansard and more
- Colorbond is not just corrugated with even waves like the old corrugated iron was. While this does seem to be the most popular choice for roofs, there are several different designs that can truly enhance the look of your home where the roof is visible. These designs are often chosen for patios and deck roofs, but there is no reason they cannot be used for the main roof as well.
There are many advantages of using this type of roofing apart from enhancing the design of your home. It is a top quality building material that lasts for a long time. It is strong and durable and can be installed quickly. And it needs minimal support, which is why you often see it used to roof extensions, decks and carports.
When you have a Colorbond roof, there are few niches where sparks from a fire can get in and start your house frame burning, unlike tiles. And of course, termites won’t attack it. Colorbond roofing is a low maintenance material that has become increasingly popular since its inception.
Many homeowners these days choose Colorbond for their roofs and increasingly, for the wall cladding as well. Such a home can be built quickly and cost effectively, saving the owners a great deal in rental while they wait for their home to be finished.